29/10/2015

Halloween Creepy Rainbow Cupcakes

I’m not sure if it’s just me, but Halloween time means a lot more baking for me, especially cupcakes. (Although, cupcakes are good all year round) Making everything a little spookier with a little touch of food colouring. I placed an order on Amazon for black and moss green food colourings (here and here) and I also picked up other colours from Asda (here). So, everyone has seen the rainbow cakes right? So I thought it’s a perfect time to create my own rainbow cupcakes but with a Halloween twist. Lets get into it…


Ingredients
- 110g self-raising flour
- 110g butter (softened)
- 110g sugar
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- black, green, orange and red food colouring

For the buttercream icing
- 140g butter (softened)
- 280g icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- green food colouring
 1) Pre heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a muffin tray with paper cases.
2) Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale.
3) Beat in the eggs, a little at a time and stir in the vanilla extract.
4) Fold in the flour and baking powder, using a large metal spoon. Add a little bit of milk until the mixture is a dropping consistency.
5) Then divide you mixture in to 4 separate bowls.
6) Add the 4 different food colouring to separate bowls and mix together using a teaspoon.
7) Once the food colouring is all mixed in, start by taking the red food colouring and spoon the mixture into the paper cases. Repeat this with the black, green and orange.
8) Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes. You can tell when your cakes are ready by inserted a skewer into once of the cakes and if it comes out clean they’re ready, if not, put them back into the oven for another 2-3 minutes.
9) Set them aside for 10 minutes and then remove them from the tray onto a cooling rack.

Buttercream icing
1)   Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft.
2)   Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
3)   Add the remaining icing sugar with a tbsp of milk and mix until the mixture is smooth and creamy. (you can add more milk if needed)
4)   Add the green food colouring and mix again until all the food colouring is mixed in thoroughly.
5)   Spoon the icing into a piping bag (I use a plastic one) and then pipe in the icing on the cupcakes in a spiral motion.
6)   Add any extra topping, I had little pumpkins and bats and other orange and black topping I could find.
I absolutely love making cupcakes, every occasion I just love to bake so keep an eye out for Christmas baking posts. I hope you enjoy baking cupcakes as much as I do. What do you like to bake? 

No comments :

Post a Comment